Monday, February 19, 2007

The Birth of Community Jiu-Jitsu

Jiu-Jitsu can be practiced in a myriad of ways and with an equal variety of attitudes. Most gyms have the typical musclemen, technicians, and of course spazzes, but the beauty of jiu-jitsu is that they are all practicing some form of jiu-jitsu. This blog is dedicated to all of these people, because these people are all me. I am the spaz, the muscle head, and the technician. I am the guy who refuses to tap and the guy who flows and doesn't care. I constantly battle my ego and this is what I have taken from jiu-jitsu.

For everyone else, I hope this blog serves as an inspiration, a source of technical knowledge and perhaps a different insight, and most importantly community. This blog is not about me, my school, or my skills (or lack thereof); it is about the community that exists beyond me and my circle of comfort. Jiu-Jitsu will always be about community. It is not about how close you are to your black belt instructor, your famous team, or your purveyors of knowledge. It is about the community and the relationships you build with the people who are sweating on the mats next to you and with you. Jiu-Jitsu itself knows no teams, therefore Community Jiu-Jitsu is about sharing and building the community that exists between and regardless of different academies.

To expedite this function of community building I will embark on both an expedition and thoughtful analyses with the hopes of seeing beyond myself and recognizing the community that we are all a part of.

No comments: